Many parents find that the interior design of their homes suffers when they have kids. Busy parents don’t have as much time as they used to work on the appearance of their homes. Luckily, there are some simple things you can do to make your home stylish while keeping it kid-friendly. Here are a few of the things you can do to kid-proof your living room without sacrificing the way it looks:
- Get a washable slipcover for your sofa – Drinks easily slip out of kids’ hands. So, consider investing in an attractive, washable slipcover for any sofas, loveseats, and armchairs you might have in your living room.
- Make use of chests and large baskets – If your kids are relatively young, you probably keep a good amount of their toys in your living room to keep them entertained. The problem is that kids’ toys can make a living room look cluttered and considerably less stylish. So, think about hiding your kids’ toys in a large chest or wicker baskets when they’re not using them.
- Consider wipe-clean paint for your walls – Your children will inevitably leave smudges and handprints on your walls. So, you may want to paint your walls with some wipe-clean paint, which makes it easy for you to remove smudges and handprints without having to repaint. There are all different kinds and colors of wipe-clean paint, so you can most definitely find one that suits your design needs.
- Get a round, durable coffee table – Coffee tables are usually low enough for kids to sit at and use often, which means you probably want a coffee table that can withstand some wear and tear. Additionally, kids are more likely to bump into the sharp edges of square coffee tables and injure themselves. So, a round table is best.
- Keep your breakables out of reach – Keep your fragile decorations on shelves you’ve mounted to the wall or at the top of shelved furniture, out of the reach of your kids. You don’t have to get rid of your fragile decorations just because you have kids. You should, however, make sure that your children aren’t able to get ahold of glass and ceramic decorations easily.
So, try out the tips above, and enjoy your warm, inviting, attractive, and kid-friendly living room as a family!